Antique Safes/opened herring hall and marvin safe

Question
safe
safe  

safe
safe  
I have an open safe and wonder how I identify the combination or change it.On the dials there are numbered holes in which a pin sets into any given one. Do those numbers tell me the combo.?
Thanx in advance,
JKS

Answer
John,

Yes, the pin in the hole indicates the number that wheel is suppose to be set on.  In this case the wheel shown has the number 40 selected.  

The wheel closest to the drive wheel is your number 3 wheel, and the furthest away would be the number 1 wheel.   Dialing sequence for this lock would be:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number, (40),
1 time left until the dial stops.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)