Antique Safes/RE: C H Crane Safe Wolverhampton

Hi Mike
thanks so much for the answer for the safe -I had already put it on ebay before I got your message as I was desperate to get rid and at the moment I have a bid for 62! I'm pretty chuffed as it means I don't have to get rid of it myself now! I'm super pleased now that you've told me it's not really worth very much anyway -the high bidder apparently wants it for his car showroom and has the means to move it so that's great!!
Thanks again
(ps it's in a house in the UK so that's why I have to shift it over there)

Hi Ellie,

Congratulations! I monitor eBay fairly regularly to gauge the prices these old safe are fetching and it is a bit of a lottery at present with may of them not selling.  The stumbling block is always getting it transported so you have done exceptionally well.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others