Antique Safes/refinishing exterior good idea or bad

Question
THE AMERICAN STEEL SAFE CO. floor safe measures 22 1/2"wide x 32 1/2" tall (height is including the metal wheels). Has a yale lock with the following numbers on it 12762(the number 7 is directly above the other numbers). the riverboat scene ia very faded as is the pinstriping. the following words are on the safe door - C.A. STRICKLER  -then below the lock is THE AMERICAN STEEL SAFE CO. I have the combinbation to the safe and have opened and closed it several times.The interior has a small metal door with key and then is missing a small wooden drawer.So, would refinishing the exterior de-value it? Or maybe its not worth that much alway.

Answer
Holly,

This would of course, depend on the restoration work that you have done.   If you have a job which looks like little kids with crayons worked on it, then of course the value would be significantly decreased.  If you have a professional restortion job done, then it would be increased.   Chances are you will have something done in between.

As far as the "fading", it may simply appear faded.  Most companies would "clear coat" the surface with a varnish.   As the varnish ages it yellows or darkens so that the painted surface below appears to fade.   Removal of the varnish layer MAY result in bringing the art work back to life.   Obviously without seeing the safe, I don't know WHAT condition your safe is in, so I'll need to see it at some point.

If the art work is not ruined, it is possible to have the rest of the safe repainted, leaving the original art work intact.   If you have a professional artist available, they may be able to recreate the painting.

Obviously the cost of restoration will be dictated by the type of restoration you have done.   If you are simply having the work done to increase the selling price of the safe, then there is a fine line between paying more than the safe is worth or making money.   Restored safes are also MUCH easier to sell than safes which are thouroughly worn out.

The "C. A. Strickler" may have been an owner at some point, or possibly a sales agent for the company.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.  Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)