Antique Safes/Remington & Sherman Co.

Question
Remington Booklet
Remington Booklet  
Mr. Andreasen,

I purchased a box of paper items at a recent auction and in the box was a booklet on Remington & Sherman Co., safes and vaults.  I was wondering if you could tell me what the value of this booklet is?  It measures about 12 inches long by 9 and 1/4 wide.
There is quite a bit of writing on the front, the largest font being: "REMARKABLE DYNAMITE TEST - MADE BY THE -United States Express Company's Officials" and Remington & Sherman Co., MANUFACTURERS OF Fire and Burglar = Proof Safes and Vaults".  The title page also includes the names of the President, Vice President and Sec'y and Treas.  It includes the salesrooms and office and works place names. There are 7 pages showing the "Remarkable Dynamite Test" to their safes, proving them the best safes available for purchase.  There are 11 black and white photos of men standing beside safes that have withstood the dynamite testings.  On the back of the booklet is a print of "THE BEST EQUIPPED SAFE FACTORY IN THE WORLD.", showing the Remington Safe & Vault Works factory. I can't find a date anywhere but the booklet was in a box of other paper items from the late 1800's early 1900's and the booklet appears to me to be from this time period as well.  I will attach one photo as permitted. It has a shadow from my hand holding the camera. If you would like additional photos please let me know. Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
Susan,

I have no idea how much a booklet like this would be worth.   Generally to establish a value you need at least "two things".   They would include multiples of the same item, to establish some type of value, and second - collectors of such items.

Generally the people collecting items like this would be safe people, or someone who ALSO has a safe made by the same company.

It is hard to tell from the cover sheet whether this was an actual advertisin booklet from the safe company or from the United States Express Agency, but as it lists the officers and sales offices, I would also suspect that it is from the manufacturer.

This company began as a result of the merger of the Herring Safe Company, Farrel Safe Company, Hall's Safe & Lock Company and the Marvin Safe Company in 1892.   During the merger of the new company (Herring-Hall-Marvin), and between 1892-1896, construction of safes continued at the original factories, however in 1896 HHM broke ground to consolidate the company under one roof in Hamilton, Ohio.   Many employees and former employees did not go with HHM during this consolidation.   In this case former employees of both Herring and Farrel elected to open a new company in Philadelphia.
NOTE:   The Herring Safe Company was originally in New York, NY and the Farrel Safe Works were in Philadelphia, PA.   Herring and Farrel had always been "close" companies, having a tentative merger as early as 1861, formalizing the merger in 1869.

The Remington & Sherman Company appears to have been in business from the mid 1890's until the early 1940's.  Unfortunately, I don't have an exact starting date or ending date for them.   Still researching though.
As the United States Express Company appears to have been in business from around 1854 until it was dissolved by its board of directors in March of 1914, these tests would probably have been performed between 1896 to around 1910, or so.

The safe in the photo appears to be a fire resistive "Bankers" Safe.   Bankers safes were made of many layers of laminated steel, with the door "stepped" so that it provided an almost air tight seal, so tight that liquids like nitroglycerin could not be forced into the crack.

These safes were NOT made by the United States Express Company, but the "TESTS" were performed by them.

As I'm currently writing a book on the history of antique safes and their manufacturers (early 1800's through the mid 1900's I would love to see the booklet, a copy of it, or simply digital photos of it.   however I'm not really interested in purchasing it as I don't collect items like this.   For a reasonable price I would possibly be interested in it though.

If you would like to send me photos of all of the pages, I would love to see them.   Send them to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com

Thanks for sharing this piece of history.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)