Antique Safes/SAFE

Question
I HAVE A HERRING MARVIN CO SAFE THAT IS NOW ON EBAY IM SELL IT FOR 4,500 IT IS MADE OF WOOD IT LOOKS LIKE A OLD STORE SAMPLE OR SIGN ME AND MY DAD PICKED IT UP IN DELAWARE AT A ANTIQUE STORE 45 YEARS AGO CAN YOU TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT, I HAD IT APPRAISED IN NYC AT CHRISTYS FOR 12,000
MY PHONE NUMBER IS  I CAN SEND PICTURES IF YOU LIKE
GREG

Answer
Greg,

Good luck with the $4500.

I did see the photos that you sent to my email, and I see nothing about it to indicate that it would be worth anywhere near the $4500 much less $12,000 - and I can't believe that Christy's would appraise it without some type of documentation.   The fact that you are asking "ME" for information concerning this item justifies this conclusions - so you will have to pardon me if I have my doubts.

Second item - Manufacturers did NOT make wooden store samples.   Generally if it was made for use in a movie, it would have had some type of tag on it - inside or on the bottom, which would have been either a reference tag or an inventory tag.

While outwardly, it appears to be a very good recreation of a safe, like anything eles, the proof is in the details.   If this was simply made to stand in a corner on display, it would not need much more detail than it already has, and your photos didn't show anything that would make it really stand out as something that would have been focused on, in a scene.

The lettering on the front is not even close to being similar to the manufacturers logo, which surprises me as there appears to be some effort put into the pin stripping and details.   The fourth photo of the interior did not come through, so I can't address it.

As I ONLY evaluate actual safes, I would have to place the following value on this item (unless you come up with documentation about its origin, and from Christy's).

Value:
Fire resistance:     $0     This is NOT a fire resistive container
Burglary resistance: $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive container.
Resale:          $0     This has no commercial or retail value.
Antique/Collectible: $300-$500     While this piece is unique, and would be interesting in someone's collection, it is NOT a safe, it is simply a mock up of one.   Without documentation of origin or purpose, it has little collectible value, other than as a curiosity.

Sorry to evaluate it so much lower than you have indicated, but hopefully I've stated my reasons why.   Without proper documentation, the value is virtually killed.   If you have documentation, that would substantially change its potential value - how much WOULD depend on the documentation.   Go ahead and ask for your $4500 and see what happens, hopefully you will find someone that is interested enough to buy it, if not then you may want to rethink your asking price.

Good luck.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)