Antique Safes/Shaw-Walker

Question
Shaw-Walker safe door
Shaw-Walker safe door  
QUESTION: I have an old (maybe 1905ish) Shaw-Walker safe with the brass Eagle combination lock that is missing the first 3 wheels. Is it possible to replace the lock with a complete Eagle combo or replace the missing wheels?

Thank you,

John Cooper

ANSWER: John,

As with any other obsolete item, the answer is a "yes/no" answer.    While, YES you can change it out with a complete Eagle lock, the answer is also NO, they are not available.

There is no aftermarket source for obsolete safe parts.   There simply isn't a big enough market.   While many safe companies strip parts off of older safes when they dispose of them, there is also no listing of available parts - anywhere!   This means that inorder to find this lock and/or a wheel pack - YOU will have to start knocking on ever safe companies doors to see if they have this item.   Sorry no easy way to find it - and I wish there were.

Second problem, as most safe companies keep these older parts for in house repairs, generally they have no inventory of what they have.   They will have to search through boxes of old parts looking for the lock for you.   Unless YOU are a motivated buyer (meaning $$$ to find the lock), they simply aren't going to be interested in even looking.

Options - put together a listing of the dozen or so, larger safe companies through out the US, and hundreds of smaller safe companies - and start sending out requests for the lock.   And/or start searching for a second safe to buy to use as a donor safe to get the parts you need.

I wish the answer were better or easier, but it isn't.    Years ago, we tried starting an association to address just these issues, however in order for an association to function and/or serve as a "central focal point" for listings, etc.  it needs $$$$$ to operate.   As the majority of the group weren't interested in actually spending any money to belong, it only lasted for around 5 years before being found in the fish bowl belly up.   We've tossed the idea around to try and revive it several times, to no avail as of today.

Well, those are your options, if you have any other questions concerning these parts, I would be happy to try to answer them.

QUESTION: I had a feeling these parts are no longer available. Our lab does have a cnc mill and lathe and I think that we're just a 3D printer away from being able to fabricate a space ship.

I could consider making duplicates of the one wheel we do have. But are they different? And if so, where? Hill's Brothers Lock and Safe said the lock was a low security type and the current selection of locks has a larger footprint which would require drilling new holes in the safe door. A do-able task but the last resort. It does seem strange that the lock footprint and bolt pattern is no longer being used.

Thank you for your time,

John Cooper

Answer
John,

There you go - a positive attitude, I like that.    Most people don't have the equipment to fabricate the necessary parts.

I'll have to look through my photos to see if I have a photo of the wheel pack, which might help you - can't guarantee anything though.   Send me an email to:    andy@securitysafeusa.com   along with a reminder of what you are looking for.   I'll check my stuff when I get in the office monday or tuesday.

As far as the lock "foot print" no longer being used - this was NEVER a standard to start with.   Shaw Walker adapted THAT particular lock for their use.   It would be kind of like asking WHY don't auto makers still use the Studebaker design any more?????

The "larger" lock foot print is NOT the problem, as it would be a simple task to drill and tap new lock mounting holes, the proble is the spindle hole/lock alignment.   The current spindle hole would not line up, and allow the lock to work with the bolt work.
Besides new mounting holes, a new spindle hole would be necessary, as well as moving the dial and dial ring.   Also if the lock was recessed into a cavity in the door, this cavity may have to be modified as well.

Shaw Walker is on my listing of "POSSIBLE" manufacturers to have used asbestos as an insulation material.   As you may be required to drill, or cut into the insulation media, I would HIGHLY recommend having the insulation tested prior to cutting into it, to ascertain whether or not YOUR safe contains this HAZMAT item.   If you don't have a local testing agency that can check your sample material, you can pick up a "home test kit" from most hardware stores and/or CVS Pharmacies.   You can also get it on line at:     http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

All modifications are very do-able, if you have the skills and hand tools, and would save you considerable time and effort over looking for the Eagle lockset, and/or fabricating new wheels and parts.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)