Antique Safes/Steel case safe

Question
Hello, I have a steel case safe just like the one in the picture dated jan. 2012, except mine has two doors and wider. You have indicated no real value as a collectible . I would like to sell it on Craig's list and not sure how much to ask. I was thinking of painting it so it looks nice . Would this affect the value either way ?

Answer
Greg,

Safes made by Steelcase are considered "office furniture", and not real safes.   Many of these containers were not made by Steelcase, only sold by them.

As these containers do not meet minimum standards for fire resistance or burglary resistance, they have little resale value.   As you correctly noted, these containers are also not considered antique or collectible.

If you would like to sell the container, I recommend that you have three prices in mind.  Your asking price, the price you would like to get and a minimum you will take, value.   As these containers have little value, I would not recommend starting to high or potential buyers will simply skip over the item.

I have no value to offer you as a starting point, as we would charge you to dispose of the container, and it would probably simply go for scrap.

The better that you present the container, the more likely it will sell at your higher price.   Painting it is not a bad idea, as long as you paint it in a manner that will interest someone else.   If you happen to like flurosecent green, chances are most buyers won't!

If you can't find something similar on ebay or craigs list to use as a starting value, then just throw out a number.   If you don't get any bites, then lower the price down.

Sorry I can't offer more advice.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)