Antique Safes/Stephen Cox and Son Safe

Question
I have just inherited a very old Stephen Cox & Son safe, it is made of two skins of steel and sounds hollowish when tapped (with a hammer) what did they used to put between the skins?

Hope you can help, thanks

Answer
Hello Howard,

Thanks for your question.  The fill depends on what model Stephen Cox safe it is.  However, by far the most popular Cox safe was their low grade Gibraltar.  It was a general purpose petty cash and book safe.  I sold hundreds of them over the years, mostly to schools to hold dinner money and exam papers.

It had a loose fill of limestone chippings.  Unlike a sold fill, this could move and compact leaving some parts of the safe hollow.

I have seen one or two ripped open over the years so insurers generally don't like you to keep more than 3,000 cash in them.

If you want confirmation of the model, you are welcome to send me a picture.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer