Antique Safes/Antique Postal Alpha Dial Combination

Question
QUESTION: Do you have any knowledge of how to open antique US Postal alpha dial combination banks.  The bank consists of 2 alpha dials, A-K on first dial and L-V on second dial. We have the combination, however we do not know how to open.

ANSWER: Rex,

Sorry, but my area of expertise is actual safes not banks or Postal box locks.   While I'm sure that I could figure it out and open it for you, this would be a hands on project.

As you also did not provide me with the combination that you have, I have no way of trying to decode it to give you some type of dialing sequence to try.

Assuming that each dial controls two wheels, the dialing sequence would be something like:

first dial (A-K)
2 times left to the first letter,
1 time right to the second letter,
Second dial (L-V)
2 times left to the first letter,
1 time right to the second letter,

If this doesn't work, try reversing the sequence or RL vs LR.

Hope this helps, if not let me know WHAT letters you have, and I'll see what I can come up with.

QUESTION: No luck;  The combination is G3 R2;  The letters have three marked lines between the letters which are also marked with a line.  I thought the combination was to turn the dial a certain number of times then stop on G and then to third line past G and same with the R to second line past R. I can't get it to work for me, however I do not know the number of times to spin dial or if I spin dial right or left.

Answer
Rex,

without having the postal box in hand, all I can do is make a guess - as I said items like this are not in my area of expertise.

Try turning one dial 3 times to "G", and the second dial 2 times to "R".

You may want to check out both dials for the lettering.   If one dial has a G and the other an R, I would try them in this order.   If they both have a G and R, then trial and error.

You might want to check with the following location/individual to see if they have any better information, as they sell similar items.   http://joespostofficebanks.com/product.html

they may need a photo of your particular post office box to determine what you have and any info about it.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)