Antique Safes/Antique Safe - J Grove & Son

Question
Good day, Andy please could you assist us with the following info, we would like to know how old our safe is, current value on the safe

J Grove & Son, Brmingham England,(Defiance Safeworks with Chubbs) from Bent Steel safe makers, it looks exactly like the green safe on the web page 22/12/2009 were the gentleman asked questions the only difference is that our colour inside is green and not black and  inside by the door is the J Grove & Son lable plus agent information Central Mattress co, PO Box 7231 Johannesburg, South Africa

Many thanks
Kind regards

Natasha

Answer
Natasha
My area of expertise is antique safes made in the USA between the early 1800's to current models.   I don't have much information on European or English safes.   There were a couple hundred different safe makers in four British towns in the late 1800's all making very similar safes - because of this the value tends to be "depressed".    This company was established in 1874, and was still in business into the 1920's.

Generally throughout the UK, these safes are only worth around 150 to 200 British Pounds (about $240 to $320 US dollars).   Outside of the UK, where they were not imported, the value does tend to be higher, though not nearly as much as a similar US made safe - the reason being that pretty much all the British safe makers litterally copied each other, so with the exception of the plaque, the handle, key hole covers and locks, the safes were very similar.

Sorry I don't have any more info on this company.   I would recommend contacting a local antique dealer to see what similar safes in your area are going for.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)