Antique Safes/Antique Safe - J Grove & Son

Good day, Andy please could you assist us with the following info, we would like to know how old our safe is, current value on the safe

J Grove & Son, Brmingham England,(Defiance Safeworks with Chubbs) from Bent Steel safe makers, it looks exactly like the green safe on the web page 22/12/2009 were the gentleman asked questions the only difference is that our colour inside is green and not black and  inside by the door is the J Grove & Son lable plus agent information Central Mattress co, PO Box 7231 Johannesburg, South Africa

Many thanks
Kind regards

My area of expertise is antique safes made in the USA between the early 1800's to current models.   I don't have much information on European or English safes.   There were a couple hundred different safe makers in four British towns in the late 1800's all making very similar safes - because of this the value tends to be "depressed".    This company was established in 1874, and was still in business into the 1920's.

Generally throughout the UK, these safes are only worth around 150 to 200 British Pounds (about $240 to $320 US dollars).   Outside of the UK, where they were not imported, the value does tend to be higher, though not nearly as much as a similar US made safe - the reason being that pretty much all the British safe makers litterally copied each other, so with the exception of the plaque, the handle, key hole covers and locks, the safes were very similar.

Sorry I don't have any more info on this company.   I would recommend contacting a local antique dealer to see what similar safes in your area are going for.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada