Antique Safes/diebold safe

my safe
my safe  
My grandfather left me safe it appears old I found numbers It complete andin good shape.  SPEC B1  10Y1581    SMNA GROUP 4    CAT NO. 12532  Would love info and ballpark figuer of worth.  I ave attachd a picture. Thanks Dena

Your safe is from the late 1950's.   It was designed as a burglary resistive chest for small businesses.   Assuming as you indicate it is in "good" shape, if you plan on using it, then also plan on having maintenace performed annually (yearly) to keep it working.   The majority of the body of the safe is a clad, concrete for weight.   It has a very small storage compartment for its size.

These safes are obsolete and parts haven't been available for at least 10-15 years.   This means that if it breaks or is damaged, then you might as well use it as a boat anchor.

As far as value goes:
Fire Resistance:     $0     This safe is NOT a fire resistive safe.
Burglary Resistance: $0     Does not meet current standards and is an obsolete model.
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail use.   Should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique:          $0     Not over 100 years old.
Collectible:         $0     Not considered a collectible

While the safe MAY have some value ($250-$400) it isn't under any of the above categories, and with the lack of parts and maintenance problems it also isn't a safe that I would advise anyone to buy.

If you plan on keeping it, I wouldn't recommend keeping anything important in the safe that you HAVE to have access to quickly.   Get a more modern safe which will be relyable.   Storage of non-important valuables or as a display item would be acceptable.

Sorry the news isn't better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada