Antique Safes/Looking for information on my Mosler safe

Question
Front_Inside_Door_Information
Front_Inside_Door_Info  
QUESTION: I recently came across a Mosler safe and didn't know too much about it and was hoping you can tell me the age, weight, value, how to care for it, as well as how to change the combination. I'll be glad to send you any information you may need to help determine this.

The dimensions are: ~29.5" (square) x 57.25" (high). The caster base adds about 6.5", total height is ~63.75".
The safe is not in perfect condition, there are some scratches and dents and some rust around the caster base. Mechanically there is nothing wrong with the safe, it opens closes latches/locks without issue.

The pictures will hopefully tell you a little more.

ANSWER: Sandro,

I would be happy to look at your safe.   It appears to be late 1950's or early 60's.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: Thanks Andy I'll be sure to send those pictures along shortly. Also would you be able to tell me how to care for it, as well as how to change the combination?

Sandro

Answer
Sandro,

I don't recommend lock disassembly for service or combo changing as a DIY project for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths.   lack of education, knowledge or tools can easily result in an expensive lockout.

Have a safe technician from a local safe company service your safe.   As part of the service, they will either reset your combination to keep it accurate, or they will set a new combo (your choice).   Any time they work on your safe, you should expect something like a 90 day service warranty.

If you elect to make this a DIY project, lay out all the parts in the exact order of removal.   Do not flip over or turn any parts as the lock may not work correctly afterwards.
Clean each part with something similar to "Tri-Flow" lubricant, (Teflon or Silcone), do not use a WD-40 as this is NOT a lubricant.  Wipe all excess lubricant off.
The lock wheels should be hand change, which means that each wheel & hub will have to be disassembled, realigned to the new number and realigned.
Reassemble the lock components, and test operate several times before closing and locking door.

If you have any problems - stop - call the local safe company to have them reassemble the lock correctly.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)