Antique Safes/McCaskey Safe

I have a McCaskey safe that has been in the family for MANY years and in my posession for forty three years.  I have left it open unlocked (with the door closed) for about three years.  One of the grandchildren turned the knob and locked it and now I can't get it unlocked.  Prior to this happening, I have locked and unlocked many times.  I have the unlock procedure written down in two different places so I am sure I am following the correct procedure.  I can't find any model number or serial number.  The dimensions of the safe are:  21L x 21W x 31H (and VERY heavy).

Can you advise me regarding this problem or direct me to someone who can advise me?  There very little cash in the safe but a lot of important papers (automobile titles, Social Security cards, birth certificates, etc.

I am located in central Connecticut but can travel anywhere I have to go.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

While McCaskey did manufacture a small line of safes from 1914 until around 1953, MANY of the safes with their lable were manufactured by other companies, and simply relabeled for advertising reasons.   So as far as the model and or dialing sequence, I would need much more information about your safe.

As you didn't provide me with the combination squences that you have, I can't try to decode them or see where you might be making a mistake.

Second item (after you get the safe open).   Safes which are over 50 years old generally DO NOT meet current standards for fire or burglary resistance and SHOULD NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents - This WOULD include your safe.   If you need a safe for storage of these "important" items, then please get a more current model.

If you don't have a local safe company, then I will need to know where you and/or the safe is located (zipcode) so that I can direct you to someone, or see who I know in your area.   If you can take the safe to the safe company, you will save a bunch of money.   If you do have the correct combination, they may simply be able to dial it open for you.

Item number 1 - provide me with the dialing sequence that you are trying to use.
Item number 2 - photos of your safe, so that I can see what you have.
Item number 3 - zipcode where you are located.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada