Antique Safes/Restorers

Doug, I have a J. Baum safe in need of restoration. It belonged to my great Grandfather, used for years by my grandfather and father. It was out of family possession for about 20 years, then sold to a scrap dealer who left it outside for the last 5 years. Sadly it now has a coat of rust, a broken wheel ear and missing that wheel. The artwork and detailing paint trim are faded and hard to see. The scene is there, but very faded. The chrome tips on the hinges are there but re starting to corrode. The dial and single, large handle are also corroding. The dial turns freely through about 360 degrees then it turns hard, but does turn. I have the combination and it has never been changed over the years. The safe is 25" deep, 27" wide and 33" high ( not including wheels)
I want to use it, no interest in selling it due to family connection, so I would like to make it look and work like it did when I remember it at great grandfather's house in the early 50s. I live in southern Maine, about  70miles North of Boston. Any ideas on anyone in New England who could help me out. Thanks

Bill, you have quite a project ahead of you.  Unfortunately I don't know of anyone remotely close to you that could do a restoration.  That is not to say there isn't.  If you can't find someone up in your area, you may want to consider shipping it here to Ohio to get the work done.  Not too far from me is an antique safe restorer, Matt Lamborn, who does great work. I can open the safe and get the comb in good working order. The missing wheel might be the biggest problem, but worst case is that a copy could be made or replace all with off the shelf wheels.      Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place