Antique Safes/s-cientest

I have s-cientest 2 door upright green 29 wide by 63 high 8 hinge yale #100 round combo lock underwriters class b  s-28092 safe  I bought and only 2 internal parts to to this lock were there. Where can i purchase new parts for this safe ?          kenny

As these safes haven't been built since about 1955, finding "NEW" parts is about like your chances of hitting the lottery.
As locks and equipment "evolve" over the years, manufacturers cease to build older designs.   Eventually new stock of older parts simply runs out.   There is also no aftermarket companies making older locks, as the market for these items simply doesn't exist, or is so small that it isn't feasible.

So what are your options???   You can find another similar safe to use for donor parts, or possibly find a lock or safe company that may have stripped parts off of an older safe which was being scrapped, or upgrade it to a newer style lock.

Problems.    As these safes are NOT considered collectible, and they were known users of asbestos for insulation, many of them have been disposed of.   Generally lock and safe companies strip parts for "THEIR" use, and not for resale.  Finding someone who may have a lock, and convincing them to dig through boxes of parts may be difficult, unless you are a motivated buyer (read $$$$'s).
New locks and old locks may not have the same "footprint".   Mounting the new lock, AND having it work correctly may take some retrofit/mechanical time.   If you don't have tools, some mechanical apptitude, and knowledge of the lock operation - this may be more hassel than its worth.   Most lock and safe companies simply don't do this type of work.   If they can't simply remove the old lock and install the new one (plug & play type work), they aren't going to be interested.

Solutions:   Look around for larger safe companies in your area, or check with a local safe company to see who they know.   If replacement locks are not available, look into options of upgrading to a new lock.   As your safe isn't considered a collectible, upgrading to a digital lock will not affect its value, and may increase it slightly.

Warning:   As many of these safes may have used asbestos as an insulation material, you should consider ANY work around the insulation as potentially hazordous.   I would recommend that you have the insulation material tested to determine if it actually contains asbestos or not.   If you don't have a local testing agency, you can obtain a "home test kit" at most Home Depots, Lowes, Ace Hdw., CVS Pharmacies or by going to:
Once you have determined the asbestos content, you can decide whether to proceed or not.   NOTE:  Many states have strict HAZMAT policy on transporting, selling or disposal of Asbestos.   If your container does have this material, I would check to find out what YOUR liabilities may be.
While I think that asbestos has been unfairly maligned, thanks to the ECO-Nazis and the ambulance chasing Trial Lawyers, this doesn't mean that it doesn't pose a health hazard, though ONLY if it becomes airborne and/or you inhale it.   If it is contained within a sealed container (like the walls of the safe), it poses very little risk.

Hope this gives you some ideas and options.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada