Antique Safes/Victor Safe

I have a Victor Safe made buy Victor Safe and Equipment Company in Marietta, Ohio. It has a serial # stamped on the back, #8317. One of the handles has been cut off with a torch.  Is it possible to get replacement parts for this safe.

First question - why was the handle cut off with a torch????   Burglary attempt?   

The short answer is no - factory replacement parts are not available.  The long answer is yes, you can get a replacement handle, which was not made for this container, and make it fit.

Safes were made by this company from 1927 until it was acquired by the Sperry Corporation (Sperry Rand merger) around 1955.   By 1956 all safe manufacturing at the various factories owned by Remington-Rand, including Victor, had ceased.   The Victor name and the fire filing cabinet division continued out of the Marietta facility until around 1987 when it was purchased by a company called "Turn-10 Wholesale".   Currently Victor components are made for Turn-10 Wholesale by FireKing Industries.

As far as finding a handle for a particular safe which was made between 1927-1956, the answer is probably "good luck"!   In general, you might find one that was removed off of another old safe but searching might take quite awhile.

As these safes are not antiques, nor are they considered really collectible, no one is interested in collecting parts to make them available.   These safes are generally considered fire resistive office equipment - and they do not meet current standards for fire resistance, and are NOT burglary resistive safes.

Probably the best way to go, would be to take a current handle, with the same size spindle, and simply machine the end of the spindle to meet what ever attachment method you require for your safe.   Available handles have a straight arbor, 1/2" in diameter, about 4-1/2" long.   Cost would be about $65-$75 per handle (plus any shipping and/or taxes).

If your safe is a double door unit, I would probably have both handles replaced so it would match.   As far as the fabrication or machining, this can be done by hand, but of course WILL depend on your skills and what tools you have available.

My recommendation would be to have a safe tech from a local safe company do the work, but this might add to the cost as well.   If you want to mount the handles on the safe, but don't do the machine work, if you send me your existing handles and/or the spindles I can probably do the work before sending them to you.   Before you send them to me though, I will need some dimensions and measurements.    If you are interested send a request to me at:    I can send you a photo of the handles that I'm proposing.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada