Antique Safes/Hall's Safe & Lock Company Combination Pattern

Question
I have a Hall's Safe & Lock Company free standing safe on wheels serial number 116884.  I have what I believe is the combination numbers but I don't have the pattern i.e. Left 3x, Right 2x etc.  Any help with patterns to try would be appreciated.

Answer
Troy,

It would have helped if you had actually included what you do have, for me to look at.

The Hall's Safe & Lock Company manufactured their own locks which were installed on their safes.  Depending on what type of safe you actually have, you may have a three wheel, four wheel or five wheel lock.  Obviously the dialing sequence WILL depend on what you have.  As most of these locks also utilized a screw change, wheel set up, and a straight tail piece lock/bolt work arrangement, there were usually two DIFFERENT combinations that would open each lock, depending on how it was dialed (LRLR or RLRL).

Without knowing what you actually have, or how the combination was originally given we will have to use some standard dialing sequences and options.

First, assuming that it is a three wheel lock (3 combinations wheels and a drive wheel), you would have four numbers.  The dialing sequence would be either:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right stopping on the last number - turn the handle.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.
If the above sequence does not work, try reversing the directions, or RLRL vs LRLR.

If it is a four wheel lock, you will have an additional set of instructions, or

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,

As with the first sequence if this doesn't work, try reversing the directions, or LRLRL vs RLRLR.

Five wheel locks were not as common, but based on the above two sequences, I think you can figure out the dialing sequence, if you think you have a five wheel lock.

If you still can't get it open, your numbers may not be correct.  It may be time to have the safe checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.  NOTE:  I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)