Antique Safes/Antique Safe

Question
My mother has recently moved house and there is an antique safe in it.  She has the key for it but can't get it open.  Can you recommend any antique safe dealers in Scotland (we are based in Central Scotland between Glasgow and Edinburgh).

I have yet to take a picture which I am happy to send.  It was made in 1800+.

Answer
Mandy,

I have no listings for safe technicians in Scotland, sorry.    I have a couple listings for locksmiths, however I have no idea if they are qualified to work on your safe.   There are two other experts here in the antique safe section of AllExperts who are both in England, and may have a better knowledge of your safe, and/or any safe technicians or engineers in Scotland.

Their names are Tom Gordon and Mike Palmer.   Sorry I don't have a direct number or email for them, but you can resubmit your question to them.

The two locksmiths that I have contact info on are:

JAM Locksmiths          John A. Milne
01224-789-769
1,Cummingspark Drive
Aberdeen, ABERDEENSHIRE ab16 7bl
Scotland

Scotlock          Kenneth MacLennan
01851-700-892
7 Tong, Stornoway
Isle of Lewis, - hs2 0ht
Scotland

Many of the older English safes had "double throw" locks, meaning you had to turn the key two full revolutions to unlock it.   You might try that as well.
Some of the safes had multiple locks, so you might look for a hidden key hole also.

I wish I could be of more help.   But without knowing more about the safe that you have, I can only make assumptions.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)