Antique Safes/two antique safes unopened for 75+ years

Question
Hi my friends landlord has two unopened safes in the basement of his building. He hasn't ever tried to open them and neither did the previous owner of the building. The building had only ever had the owners. I am also told the dates both belonged to the original owner (tenant?) Of the building, he was a jeweler. This story seems to check out as the larger safe has a name printed on top which is definitely the name of a jewler is the area from the 1920s. I am interested in making an offer on the two safes, but I want to know if it will be worth all the time and money to get them open and functioning. Also the mystery of these things is driving me insane! The larger safe is from Diebold Safe & Lock Co. patented March 27, 1877. It is extremely ornate, it is painted to look like it's made of wood and has a small landscape painting in the center. It also has the original owners name and city painted on the front. The second safe us much smaller. Only about knee high and could be lifted by two men. Is is marked United States Safe Co. Pittsburgh, PA and W.C. Clark Safe Co. Manufacturer's Agents Pittsburgh, PA. I can send pictures of you let me know how to go about that. I can also take more pictures if necessary. The condition looks prettt good. The Diebold has one dial and two handles, the smaller one also has one dial but only one handle that no longer remains attached. Thanks for your help!

Answer
Todd,

So are you asking me how much I think the safes are worth, or how much it is going to cost to have them opened and repaired???

Locked up, the safes have a negative value, as it will cost to have them opened, and there is no guarantee that they are actually worth anything.    Once they are opened, I would be happy to evaluate them for you.

The date on the Diebold safe is simply the date the patent was issued, and has nothing to do with the manufacture of the safe, other than to let us know it couldn't have been made before that date.   Depending on the patent and item, this date could have appeared on safes for up to a 20 year period, if it was still recognizing the item the patent was referring to.   So this gives us a possible period of from 1877 to 1900, which would make it an antique.

Safes made by the United States Safe Company, were produced between 1905 to 1930, so while this safe may still be collectible, it may not be an antique.   The W.C. Clark Safe Company was, as indicated, simply a sales agent for the US Safe Company, They incorporated in July 1909, in Pittsburg, PA.   The US SAFE Company was in Elizabeth, NJ not Pittsburgh, PA.

Note:  Pittsburgh was originally named with its present spelling 22 April, 1794.  It was briefly referred to as Pittsburg in the late 1800s (around 1859).  The name Pittsburgh was officially restored in 1911, though examples of the spelling without the h can be found in many newspapers printed through at least 1916, illustrating the resistance to change.

If as indicated your safe has the spelling of Pittsburgh, with the "h", we can assume that it was made at some time AFTER the spelling change, and/or 1916, which would mean that it is NOT an antique yet.

If you don't have a local safe company to use, to have the safes opened, I have several friends in the New York area that I can refer you to.   Again, after the safes are opened, I would be happy to look at them to provide further information, and/or appraise them.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)