Antique Safes/Carter's Safes

Question
Dear Mike

I am trying to find out about a safe I have purchased called a Carter's Improved Resisting Safe. I know their safes were advertised in New Zealand in the Marlborough Express 25 June 1887, 'Carter's Safe Newly arrived' and in The Manchester Courier, and Lancaster General Advertiser January 30, 1858 'Carter's fire and thief-proof safes, efficient agents wanted address Box 80, Kaye's newsrooms, Manchester' and on July 10, 1858 where the advertisement says, 'Carter's (late with Milner and Son) fire and thief-proof safes. Lists on application - Depot. 32, lower King-street.'

Do you know where I might get more information on this safe company?

Thanks

Richard

Answer
Hello Richard,

Thanks for your question.  I have collected brass Victorian safe plates for many years and although I have now sold them off, I remember having a Carter's (late of Milner & Son) plate at one time, but that is the extent of my knowledge of this maker.

In the late 1800's and early 1900's there was an explosion of safe making in the UK with scores of small manufacturers springing up; mostly in the British Industrial Midlands or 'Black Country'.  Although Tann was the earliest and Chubb the most best known name, Milner's were the most prolific so it is understandable that Mr Carter wished this asscociation to be known.

There is no mention of Carter's in the Gazeteer of Locks and Safes nor is there any mention in Grace's Guide to British Industrial History, so I very much doubt that you will find any further reference to this company in UK records.

If you would care to send me a couple of pictures of the safe, I should be able to give you some informationo on its construction.  If it is more convenient, you can send pictures to info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer