Antique Safes/Chatwood floor safe 2878

Question
Hello

When we moved into our current house we took ownership of a Chatwood safe, it is approx 80cm high by 60cm wide and 70cm deep, not sure what the weight is, i guess really heavy. It has a lock and we have the key, it all works. The safe is a leaf green colour and has 2878 on one of the door hinges, it has gold pattens on the front. We do not want it as it takes up valuable under the stairs cupboard space, I want to advertise it in my local paper, how much do you think I should say it is for sale for, how old is it and do you know any history behind it.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks in advance

Answer
Hello Gavin,

Thank you for your enquiry.  Chatwood was a very prolific safe maker with a long history.  Over the years they manufactured many different models and it is not possible to answer your question without knowing which this is.  Unfortunately all Chatwood records and archives were lost in recent times and I would need a couple of pictures to determine the model; one with the door shut showing the entire front of the safe, and one with it open showing the door thickness and bolt-work.

If it is easier, you can send them directly to me at info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk

Mike Plmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer