Antique Safes/Asbestos, How good for Safe fire protection?

Chris wrote at 2013-08-23 12:09:32
Hey Terry,

I have a Acme safe that I got from my local McCory's store that was closing down in the mid 90's. I grew up with this safe and as a very young boy I'd go in McCory's and the safe was rite out front in the store. Even as a boy the safe door had always been unlocked, open and the safe empty. I can still remember seeing it for the first time and thinking that someone had left the safe unlocked and now I'm rich, but no treasure.

I've heard that it's referred to as a jewelers safe. The steel walled inside diameter is 12in.x12in.x12in. with a 9in. round door. The steel outside diameter is like 3ft.x3ft.x3ft. squared. The safe is very heavy like around 900lbs and has a TL-30 security rating. I'd guess it was made in the 50's, but that's just my guess. I think I can get a model # for you if that would help, but I haven't been able to get any info. on these safes. Called Acme Safe Co., and even UL, but nothing. Is there anything you can tell me about Acme or this safe? Thanks Chris

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)