Antique Safes/Farrel & Co Safe

Question
Safe
Safe  
Hello,
My father loves to collect things and has recently bought a safe that he would like informatin about. The safe states Manuf'ed by Farrel & Co. Philadelphia on the front door.The combination/lock states "August 24,1969 Patented with the #8407. The inside of the front door states "House Safe." and Dexter" The interior has 2 shelves on the left hand side and 2 closed compartments. There is some carpeting on the floor of the safe. The safe rests on coaster/wheels. I could only attach 1 picture for your review. I have many more if you need them.If you need further information please contact me and I would be happy to provide whatever I can. My father is very excited to hear from you

Answer
Kelly,

As you have indicated, the "August 24, 1869" date is a patent date ONLY.   What this does though is give us a date that the safe has to have been built AFTER.

The Herring Safe Company and the Farrel Safe Company were very close, with Silas Herring and John Ferrel being good friends.   Even though the Farel Safe Companies factory was in Philadelphia, and the Herring Safe Company was in New York, the two firms merged in 1861, though most of the production prior to 1869 was kept separate.   Around 1869 BOTH names started appearing on the safes, generally the first name was also the factory the safe actually came from.   This practice last until around 1885 when we started seeing some separation as Herring was the more dominent of the two companies.   In 1892 both companies were part of the "Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe company merger, and eventually by 1896 both factories had been closed down with all operations being moved to the new HHM facility in Hamilton, OH.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)