Antique Safes/General Fireproofing Safe

Question
My father purchased an old GF safe that has no combination included. The lock mechanism is made by Yale. I have been told that the manufacturer may have a list of possible combinations. Do you know if this is true and where I could obtain the list or if it actually exists? Any other suggestions? With it's value being nothing, I am not prepared to spend the money for professional help.

Answer
Craig,

As General Fireproofing hadn't made safes since the early 1940's, and has been out of business since 1989, unless you have the ability to go back in time, I don't think you will be able to contact them.

Manufacturers NEVER published any records of serial numbers or combinations, so when they went out of business all records are also gone.

This company was known to have used asbestos as an insulation material, so as you aren't willing to have a safe technician open the safe, I'm not sure what your options are.   However, I don't recommend your cutting into it to try to open it.

Even trying to dispose of it will cost money as this is considered HAZMAT material.

Sorry, I'm not sure what further help I can be to you.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)