Antique Safes/Hall's Safe Company

I have a safe. Appears to be old. Exterior measures approx. 24"w x 36"h x 22"d. It's on 4 casters. It appears to be all intact with exception for interior metal door lock or handle mechanism??? The inside of exterior door reads THE HALL'S SAFE COMPANY, CINCINNATI, PATENTED, APRIL 3d 1906. Interior of safe appears to be all original paint. In addition there are several drawers w/locks inside (do not have key for locks but they are in un-locked position). Exterior appears to be aged, cant tell if paint is original??? I have attached two pictures. I have a combo for the exterior door although I do not know if its accurate, mechanism is jammed or I'm just not doing it correctly???
Anyway, to my point... I need advice on what to do with it. I've seen similar units restored and they are gorgeous! Based upon my description is the unit of any value? Is it collectable worthy? If yes, do you know anyone in the northern NJ, southern NY area that would be interested in such a unit or be willing to offer advice as well?
And thank you so much in advance for your willingness to share your knowlege. I read your bio in and can really appreciate how passionate you are about your profession. In a world that has become obsessed with immediate gratification and monetary gains, it's nice to know there are still those compassionate about their trade and the history behind it.
(I have more pics if you need)

Value is like beauty "in the eyes of the beholder".   To most safe companies this container has little to no value, because it does not meet ANY current standards for fire or burglary.  To many antique dealers, it could be worth a ridiculous amount (mainly because they have no idea what they are actually doing, and because they know that "according to PT Barnum", "There is a sucker born every minute"!

So some where between worthless and ridiculous IS a price or value that YOU would be happy selling the safe for, and some buyer would be happy to pay.   Ultimately, THAT is the actual value of an item - the value agreed upon by the buyer and seller.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you, and give you a "current" value based on its condition, however as far as advising you what to do with it, you are going to have to make that decision.   Whether you sell it as is, keep it, and/or restore it, will depend on what plans you have.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada