Antique Safes/Harring Hall Marvin safe

Question
Hello I am a locksmith in Billings Mt and am going to look at a safe tomorrow 45 miles out of town.  Lady says she has the combo but can not open the safe.  I will first try to open safe with combo, but if we can not open this safe, what info would you need to be able to give me possible drill points or what are our options.  

Thank you Doug

Answer
Doug,  

While I appreciate the fact that you are trying to obtain as much info as possible before driving a distance to work on the safe, you have to understand that I have no way of telling who you are or that you are even authorized to work on the safe.   Even if you provided me with a license and registration, I still would not pass on any information concerning drilling safes, or drill points on an open forum like this.

The information is not secure between just you and me, but is open for anyone to read.   Even if you contacted me directly at my shop, the answer would still be the same.   For obvious security and liability reasons we NEVER give out any drilling or opening information other than the proper dialing sequence for the installed lock.

There are several organizations which I recommend that have the capability of checking out their members in advance, specifically for circumstances like this, so that you have someone to call with questions concerning a particular safe or lock, and or recommended opening techniques.   Unfortunately I don't think you have the time to join either of them before going out.   However I think its important for you to have their information.

National Safeman's Organization (NSO)
www.DaveMcomie.com

Dave is available to answer members questions about safes, and has published many books which could help you out.

Safe & Vault Technicians Association (SAVTA)
www.savta.org

Besides having tech bulletines to help, SAVTA has a tech hotline for you to call for info.

Sorry, that I can't help you with further information, but i'm sure that you understand why.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)