Antique Safes/Large Schwab floor safe

Hello, I picked up a very large, (80x50x34), floor safe, the type distributed by Van Dorn back in the day. Anyway, I'm in the process of restoring it to use it as a gun/document safe. While sanding some of the chips in preparation of painting, what i found under the paint is a dark gray/charcoal substance. Almost seems like a filler or puddy. Do you know what it is? It's not the lead they used for body filler....maybe an early version of body filler/bondo?
Do you know of a source for the acorn hinge caps?
Also thanks for all the great info on the all experts site.
Thanks, Mark (Boston)

I would set a "storage value" limit on this container of around $10,000 in valuables.   

This safe is probably from the 1950's, which means that it does not meet current standards for fire resistance, and this is NOT a burglary resistive safe.   I would NOT recommend overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

Schwab was not a user of asbestos in their insulation materials, and I'm not sure what material you have found, but it could simply be some type of filler.   As far as it being a lead paint, unless you plan on "licking" large quantities of it, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

As far as a source for the hinge "acorns", pretty much any machine shop is a source.   there are no aftermarket companies making items for old safes.   If you need a part, it would have to be fabricated.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada