Antique Safes/Mosler Bahmann safe

Mr. Andreason,

I have a Mosler Bahmann safe that has been in the house for ages. We haven't locked it for many years, but do keep important papers in it. A few days ago my 2 year old grandson locked it and spun the dial. I used to have a piece of paper with the instructions, but can't locate it now. However, I do know what numbers are in the combination, because someone had the foresight to almost imperceptibly scrape the enamel from the tick marks of the combination numbers. (This was noticed by my eldest son, and as soon as he told me the numbers, I recognized them.) Alas, I do not recall with any certainty the direction or number of turns. The safe is 22.75" W x 23" D x 27.75" H plus 5.25" height for wheels and wheel brackets. The dial is numbered to 50 but there is an empty space between 50 and the first tick. The dial is mounted just to the right and above the center of the door. There is a T-handle between the dial and the left of the door. "5056" is stamped into the handle.

My question is, when entering the combination, what direction, number of turns, etc.? I truly appreciate any assistance you can offer. I uploaded a picture to but it's not the best quality. If you need a better picture, I can probably do that.

Mosler, Bahmann safes used a number of different locks on their safes.

based on the photo of the safe you referenced, I would assume that it might have an S&G C66, three wheel, rotary bolt lock.   The dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (around 80).

If you have an extra number in your "set", you may have the C62, four wheel, rotary bolt lock.

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If this doesn't work, I'll need better information and photos (close up of the dial), and the numbers that you have which you believe are correct.

You can send the photos to me at:    don't forget to remind me what you are requesting.  As I get 30 to 50 similar emails every day, I can't remember each one.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada