Antique Safes/mosler TL30 ?

Question
as a dealer of antiques and vintage music instruments i have made a lot of friends in the antique business. an elderly lady who has been in the antique business for over 50 years whose husband recently passed has asked me if i can help her open her husbands safe. it appears to be a mosler single round door tl-30. the number on the front of the safe body is, 11196-3. she has the combination that her husband had wrote down for her but i cannot open it with these numbers. he had wrote down five numbers, r-59, l-30,r-49, l-74, r-88. in the early 1970,s i took the course from the locksmithing school of little falls new jersey and worked as a locksmith in cincinatti for ten years until i moved to florida. i had 5 safe books but left them at the shop when i left. i thought you might have the factory preset combination on hand and would appreciate any other knowledge you can pass on to me about this safe. i have been out of touch so long that i just discovered today that mosler went belly-up some years back.
thanks for your time and help.
steve

Answer
Steve,

I'm not sure where this "Factory Preset" or "Default" combination thing came from (other than the movies), but there is no such thing.   While some companies, like Mosler, did set ALL their safes on one of two numbers,  The working combination would be set when the safe was sold to the first customer, or placed into service.   Once the combination had been reset, the original combination is gone forever.   There is no default that the lock reverts back to, or has a back up combination.

All Mosler safes from the 60's through the end were either set on 50-25-50, or simply 50.  While you can try these, chances are the safe would have been set to a combination of the customers choosing.

Based on the combination that he has written down, the lock would have been a 4 wheel lock with the following sequence:

5 times right to the first number (59)
4 times left to the second number (30)
3 times right to the third number (49)
2 times left to the fourth number (74)
1 time right until the dial stops (around 88).

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance for the first number, you would turn the dial clockwise (right) stopping the fifth time the number 59 arrives at the index mark.

Hope this helps, if not contact a local safe company to have their safe tech check it out.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)