Antique Safes/pittsburg safe

Question
I found a Pittsburg special safe approx 24w x 18d x 36h in my parents basement. Has one dial (up to 100) and one tee handle. Having auction and need to know if anything is stashed inside.  Have a card with it that has the combo on it that gives the sequence in "first half" and "second half".  Dad no longer lives and was the one that knew as per Mom.  We have tried several combinations of permutations of procedures with dial and handle and can't get it.  Could you advise me on a procedure for opening? Thank you

Answer
Shawn,

As you neglected to include the combination that you have, I'm not able to try to decode it for you.

The standard lock on most Pittsburg Safes was an S&G, OB style lock made for this company.   The dialing sequence for it is:

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times Right to the second number,
2 times Left to the third number,
1 time Right to 100 (0) - Stop,     Turn handle to open door.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

There are only three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order - they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors),
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

Generally when people write their combinations down, they write it the way that THEY understand it, and not necessarily the way that it actually works.

If your numbers and the sequence above don't match, or you can't it to work, you may need to have a safe tech from a local safe company, check it out.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)