Antique Safes/Safe

Question
QUESTION: My father passed away and left me the combination to his safe..he opened it three days before passing with the combo... I CAN NOT GET IT!!!!! Really??? LOL...Can you help me..It is aSafe Cabinet Labrotory Inspected safe #28393

ANSWER: Shannon , post a close up picture of the dial and the instructions you were given.  If you want change the numbers.  You never know who might be watching.  LOL  I will try to make sense of it.  Doug

QUESTION: right 4 times to 71
left 3 times to 6
right 2 times ti 61
left to 3

Answer
Well it looks correct for a Yale 3 wheel.  The last step should bring the dial to a complete stop.  It may or may not occur at 3, it is the dial stoppage that is important.  There may be wear in the lock, meaning the numbers may not be lining up quite right.  Try variations of slightly before or past the number lines on each number.  But more likely you are not going to each number the correct amount of times.  This a very common mistake and occurs when dialing to your second and/or third numbers.  "left 3 times to 6" means exactly that.  Not past 0, not past 71.  Pass 6 twice and stop the 3rd time you come to it.  ie left 3 times to 6.  If this doesn't help, it is time to call for a safe tech.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen