Antique Safes/safe

Question
I have a Reminton Rand safe, it is in excellent condition and I currently use to store my fire arms, and records in.  It has group #1 and serial # of76457 on the inside of the door.  I have had for over 20 years and it was at the Thomas A. Short Valve Company in Oakland, CA for 60 or 70 years prior to my getting.  I would like to know the burn rate on it and any value.  I am not selling it as I think it has aspestos in its walls.  It stands aoubt 6'6" tall, it about 36" deep and aboaut 48" wide and weights in about 3,000 lbs.  In another post you made reference that these safes were not built for anything except paper records.  Are my weapons safe in them if it is that easy to gain access to the inside?  Thanks Bill

Answer
Bill, you must be confusing me with someone else as I have never said safes like yours are only good for paper protection.  Nor would I make such a statement.  It is always a matter of degree. Any locked safe that can't be easily carted away will give some burglary protection.  The question is how much protection. Granted, your safe was designed primarily for fire protection, however the maker would not have gone to the trouble of putting a combination lock on it, just to ensure the door stayed shut in a fire. Is it equal in protection to a high security jewelers safe. Of course not, but even high security jewelers safes have been beaten.  For a very long time security specialists have recommended that a good alarm be used in conjunction with a safe and this holds true all the way up to and including bank vaults.  So let's put it this way. Your safe is at least equal to the fire and burglary protection of the typical gun safe sold today.  Actually the fire protection is probably greater.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen