Antique Safes/safe combination

Question
We have an older safe made by Marvin Safe Company at out police headquarters and need to remove same for renovations. I cannot find the combination to open the safe as it ahs not been entered in years. The only identifier I can find is a 5 digit number engraved on the handle. Any suggestions?

Chief Martin Flatley
         Southold town Police Dept.

Answer
Marty,

First off, this safe IS an antique.   The Marvin Safe company was in business from 1838 until their merger with the Herring Safe Company and Hall's Safe & Lock Company in 1892.   The Marvin Safe Company was located in New York, so it stands to reason that you might have one.

For obvious security and liabilty reason manufacturers NEVER released information concerning serial numbers and/or combinations.   There are no listings of any combinations which were set on particular safes at the factory.

Basically what this means is that you will need a Safe Technician from a local safe company to open the safe for you.   NOTE:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowlege or tools, especially on these really old safes.   If you don't have a local safe company, I have a couple friends on Long Island that specialize in antique safes.   They are probably about 80 miles away but you can contact them to discuss it.

Precision Lock & Safe, Inc.
516-616-0854         Elaad & Dov Israeli
240 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001
http://www.precisionlockandsafe.net/

In fact they have photos of a Marvin Safe that they restored at:   http://precisionlockandsafe.net/safe-restoration.html

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)