Antique Safes/Thomas Skidmore safe

Question
My friend has just died, in her house is a Thomas Skidmore safe.
48.5cm wide42cm deep 71cm high
the front is wood effect with brass handle, royal coat of arms
and brass keyhole, wording on front is
"thomas Skidmore
Bilston St
Wolverhampton
non conducting fire and theifproof safe makers
Inside 2 drawers, reckoned to be approx 100 yrs old

could you please give me an idea of it's value

Answer
Hello Chris,

Thank you for your question. Thomas Skidmore was one of a plethora of small safe makers who sprang up in the later 1800's.  They were advertising in the local press in 1892 and the Gazetteer of Locks and Safes has the following to say;

"The company was originally named Skidmore and Langham, the two partners being brothers in law. An advert, from the catalogue of the Wolverhampton Arts and Industrial Exhibition of 1884 seems to show a well established company operating at the heavier end of the security market. The advert mentions "Royal Letters Patent", which refers to the patents the company held.  But they were also "by Royal Appointment", though when, to whom and for what is not known. The firm also supplied safes to Pearl Assurance."

Quite what happened to them after that is not known but they don't seem to have made it far into the 1900's.  So your estimate of it being approximately 100 years old is certainly correct.

However, these old Victorian safes have no commercial use today, so are of little value. There are collectors who like to take good examples and restore them to a high standard and the best way to get an idea of what yours may be worth, is to monitor eBay for a while and see what they are fetching.  Skidmore safes generally have quite elaborate brass plates which collectors would value.

If you wish, you could send me pictures at info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk and I will tell you a little about how the safe was constructed.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer