Antique Safes/Time locks

Question
I have a victor cannonball safe patent date 1908 that has three time locks on the back of the door plus a third square spindle the size of the ones on the clocks. When I turn this, two locking lugs opposite each other extend. My question is how do I set these locks so the door cannot be opened until a preset time. Also, can this be done with the door open so I don't accidentally get the door locked and not be able to open it. When wound the clocks seem to run perfectly.
Thanks
Bob

Answer
Bob,

This is an automatic device.   When the time clocks have been set, winding the automatic device will secure the door when it is closed.

NOTE:   As this IS an antique device, I WOULD STRONGLY recommend that you do not use it, until after it has been checked by a trained safe technician, familiar with these devices.   I would also recommend having the movements serviced at the same time.

ONLY AFTER service would I consider locking it.  closing and locking the door without verifying the operation of this device MAY cause a VERY expensive lockout.

Regardless of how the clock movements APPEAR to operate, if they have not been serviced  in the past 2-3 years, then they are overdue.   Normal maintenance schedule for the movements would be one movement every year over a three year period.
Normal maintenance on the locks, bolt work, hinges and operational mechanics would be every year in commercial use, and every 3-5 years under residential (occasional) use.   Caveate to the maintenance schedule would also include, having service schedule as soon as you notice any problems.

The mechanical combination lock on the exterior of the door will secure the door from rotating.   While it is NOT the main lock, it will suffice until you have had the rest of the safe serviced.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)