Antique Safes/Where to buy find/buy old safe deposit units?

Question
safe-deposit-box
safe-deposit-box  
I am looking for old safe deposit units from old banks. I wonder if there is some web site or information center of old bank available for salvaging the safe deposit unit from their vaults.  I have a few large areas that would be perfect for such units.  

I am looking for ones like the unit you told a questioner (Steve 3/4/2010) that he had and were not worth very much.

Thank you.

Answer
Robert,

Unless you are hooked up with one of the companies that performs about 90% of all the bank work and/or relocations, you aren't going to have access to "salvaging" anything from any bank.   The only ones you might find available are the really small banks who are not affiliated with anyone.

Generally when one office closes down, the Safe Deposit boxes are still rented to customers.   The boxes are moved to another nearby branch for the customers to continue using.   They are not simply salvaged.

If you are simply looking for some units for your own personal use, many of the larger safe companies have used nests which are available for sale.

Probably one of the nearest companies that I would recommend you contact to purchase safe deposit box nests would be:

Underwood Safe & Vault Inc.
RR. 2 Box 16
P.O Box 218
Broken Bow, OK 74728
ph: 800-642-8763
fax: 580-584-7720
alt: 580-584-7733
underwoodsafe@yahoo.com

As far as websites where banks going out of business advertise or offer their equipment for sale - there simply aren't any.

Underwood's has a large stock of, and they specialize in older or used safe deposit boxes, locks and similar banking equipment.   They should be able to help you.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)