Antique Safes/Cary safe combination opened no combo

Question
combination tumbl;er assy
combination tumbl;er a  

number
number  
Hi I have an old safe I picked up the door is opened but locked  took off the back to view system  , also took out the tumblers , so is there a way to get the combination number by turning when out or do I have to put back  and turn the dial and watch when the slots are in the correct location ?  Thanks in advance . Mike

Answer
Mike,

The lock on your Cary Safe appears to be the Yale Y-6, 4 wheel version.
QUESTION:   What is the serial number for the safe???   Should be stamped onto the ball of the handle.

There are three options for you to recover the combination for the lock.

1.  As you have removed the back cover, you can possibly recover the combination by observation of the wheels lining up at the correct location at the fence.
2.  As the wheel pack may require disassembly, I recommend that you have this done by a safe technician from a local safe company.   I never recommend DIY lock disassembly for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for this same work.   Lack of training, knowledge or tools can result in a very expensive lock out.
3.  You can go ahead and disassemble the lock to try to recover the combination.

Bottom line, if you are unable to recover the combination by simply observing the lock, then I recommend that you go no further, have a safe technician do it for you, cost is minimal, and they can inspect and service the lock to ensure its proper operation.

The correct dialing sequence for this lock is:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time right until the dial stops, and the lock bolt has been retracted.    The handle can now be turned and the bolt work of the door will retract.

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark on the dial ring.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial clockwise (right), stopping the fifth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

Hope this helps, if not, have a safe tech check it out.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)