Antique Safes/Chrome Hinge Acorns

Question
I bought and old 6' double door York Safe that is missing the hinge acorns and would like to know your advise on finding replacement acorns for my safe.

Thanks,
Bill

PS: I have tried e-bay and Craigs list without any luck.

Answer
Bill,

Very few are still around.   Some safe companies will strip damaged safes that are going to be disposed of for any good parts, including the hinge acorns.

HOWEVER, that being said, they generally have this stock of old or used "donor" parts for their use, not for "ready" resale.    Generally most safe companies are NOT going to dig through their parts bins looking for something like this unless they are going to sell it for some big bucks, but chances are, once they find the item - you aren't going to like the price, which means that their time was wasted.

No one catalogs all of these old items, they just sit around in boxes until they get used.   Generally used ones can run about $75 ea - "IF" they are even available.    Finish is in "AS IS" condition, with bumps, dings or paint.   If you want them plated to match, I would do them all at the same time.

I'll look through my box of acorns but I can't guarantee that I'll have any that match.   I WILL need "EXACT" measurements and a photo of the ones that you have so that I can try to match it.   Send photo and measurements including thread size   (xx"-yy TPI) (9/16"-11 tpi example)

Your other option would be to have one or more made.    Cost will be based on the material and the finish or plating.   They generally run between $150 to $200.

Send an email to me at:     www.andy@securitysafeusa.com    to remind me, and provide me with a photo, and detailed measurements.    I'll see what I have.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)