Antique Safes/Diebold filing safe

Question
handle2
handle2  
handles
handles  
QUESTION: I have an older Diebold filing safe that has not been opened in about 10 years.   We do not have the combination; however, we would like to have it opened and serviced for continued use.

I have attached an image of the handles and dial.  The safe stands about 74" tall, 48" wide, and 30" deep.  It has cast iron wheels.

What would be my best option for opening the safe without damage?  I am located near Akron, Ohio.

Thank you,
John

ANSWER: John,

If this is a Diebold Filing Safe (thinner wall model), I would expect to find Diebold's K type lock installed, which is similar to a Yale OB series lock.   This three wheel lock has the capability of about 1,000,000 possible combinations, so you have two options,
1.  You can test dial all of the combinations until you find the correct one, or
2.  You can have a safe tech from a local safe company open the safe for you.   Unfortunately the safe cracker that I would normally direct you to, in your area, died last week, which limits other options.
I would recommend your contacting a local safe company to discuss having the safe opened by their safe technician.

I've got a couple of companies that I would recommend that you call.   Both should be able to open and repair your safe without damaging it, though I've no personal knowledge of either company, so I recommend that you discuss the work with both before contracting either of them.

American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH 44145
440-779-6066,          Dan Terrigno

Belle Security
Cleveland, Ohio  44102
330-323-4198          Michael Potter

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Terry, Thank you for your quick reply.  The information you provided is very helpful.   I appreciate your effort.

Can you verify for me that the lock installed (most likely), would be 4 numbers?  That is:

Left (ccw) 4 turns to the first #,
right (cw) 3 turns to the second,
left 2 turns to the third,
and right to the last

Also, would I expect the dial to stop on the last number or in a range?

Thank you,
John

Answer
John,

The lock that I would "EXPECT" to find on this safe would be a three wheel lock (plus drive wheel), so the dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to the fourth number - stop   (this would be the drive wheel, and this number won't change, even if the combination changes.

After STOPPING at the fourth number, turn the handle, the action of the bolt work drives the fence/lever up into the lock - IF the combination was dialed correctly.

NOTE 1:   The dial WILL NOT stop during the last turn, you WILL need to know where the drive wheel is suppose to stop.   You can check for this by trying to turn the handle while turning the dial, the bolt work and lever will provide some pressure on the drive wheel, When you get to its gate, you should feel a momentary release of pressure, or the handle MAY seem to turn just a hair more.
The number on the drive wheel is a constant - while you need to know it, in order to open the lock, because it doesn't change, we do not consider it part of the actual combination.   So in answer to your question, you will have FOUR individual numbers, the fourth one is a set number.

NOTE 2:   This lock could also be operated by turning in the opposite directions, or - RLRL vs LRLR.    While the individual numbers for each wheel may be slightly different, the final turn to place the drive wheel, WILL remain at the same number.

Hope this helps to explain its operation.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)