Antique Safes/Diebold safe

Question
close up
close up  
locking mechanism
locking mechanism  
QUESTION: I have a Diebold safe---SMNA Group 3, Cat #1188, Spec B1 with another number 10Z4503.  I believe I have secured the combination however I want to know how the lock pins connect to the actual locking mechanism.

ANSWER: Paige,

From the photos you provided, it appears that the attaching pin from the door "bolt", to the lock bolt is broken off or missing.

Sorry, but the "SMNA" label has nothing to do with the door, it is merely the label from the testing agency explaining the type of safe and level of security.
The Specification "B1", simply indicates that it is a Burglary Resistive chest.
The "Group 3" classification, indicates that it is a round door chest, body thickness of 1" minimum, and door thickness of 1-1/2", exclusive of bolt work and locking mechanism.
The Category # and serial number are for the label, not the safe.

If the attachment device between the door bolt and the lock bolt is broken off, then you will either need to fabricate a new attachment, or a new bolt.   Operation should be fairly obvious.   Retraction of the lock bolt, by use of the correct combination, will also retract the door bolt, by means of the attachment.   when the door bolt is correctly retracted, then the door can be rotated to its open position, allowing the door to open.
Securing would be opposite.   Close the door and then rotate it to the closed position.   rotation of dial will extend the lock bolt and the door bolt, which would engage in a matching receptacle or hole in the body of the safe, thereby prohibiting the rotation of the door.

As there are no replacement parts available for this obsolete door, repairs or fabrication will be necessary to return it to an operating condition.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Do you happen to know where I can find a photograph of a WORKING one?  Thanks in advance....and thanks for your help.

Answer
Paige,

you are going to have to be more specific about what you want a picture of???

Just the door,  or just the attachment area between the lock bolt and the door bolt? ???

Very few photos are available, and I don't think I have a door in my parts bin.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)