Antique Safes/Diebold safe

close up
close up  
locking mechanism
locking mechanism  
QUESTION: I have a Diebold safe---SMNA Group 3, Cat #1188, Spec B1 with another number 10Z4503.  I believe I have secured the combination however I want to know how the lock pins connect to the actual locking mechanism.

ANSWER: Paige,

From the photos you provided, it appears that the attaching pin from the door "bolt", to the lock bolt is broken off or missing.

Sorry, but the "SMNA" label has nothing to do with the door, it is merely the label from the testing agency explaining the type of safe and level of security.
The Specification "B1", simply indicates that it is a Burglary Resistive chest.
The "Group 3" classification, indicates that it is a round door chest, body thickness of 1" minimum, and door thickness of 1-1/2", exclusive of bolt work and locking mechanism.
The Category # and serial number are for the label, not the safe.

If the attachment device between the door bolt and the lock bolt is broken off, then you will either need to fabricate a new attachment, or a new bolt.   Operation should be fairly obvious.   Retraction of the lock bolt, by use of the correct combination, will also retract the door bolt, by means of the attachment.   when the door bolt is correctly retracted, then the door can be rotated to its open position, allowing the door to open.
Securing would be opposite.   Close the door and then rotate it to the closed position.   rotation of dial will extend the lock bolt and the door bolt, which would engage in a matching receptacle or hole in the body of the safe, thereby prohibiting the rotation of the door.

As there are no replacement parts available for this obsolete door, repairs or fabrication will be necessary to return it to an operating condition.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Do you happen to know where I can find a photograph of a WORKING one?  Thanks in advance....and thanks for your help.

you are going to have to be more specific about what you want a picture of???

Just the door,  or just the attachment area between the lock bolt and the door bolt? ???

Very few photos are available, and I don't think I have a door in my parts bin.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada