Antique Safes/Antique Sargent and Greenleaf Floor Safe

Amy wrote at 2014-03-20 09:56:44
Sorry for the long delay in response. It's been a hectic year! I have a slightly different question now regarding the actual lock. I am having trouble finding instructions on how to decipher the combination for this lock. (The numbers I'm using are fake just to show you an example of how the combo is written...)

Left 4x 50

Right 30 2x 30

Left 80 1x 80

Right 100

First question is where the starting point is since it starts at 20, not 0. Plus, there is a star looking symbol and a line above the numbers so I'm not sure what those represent.

Second, on the second and third turns, the number is repeated after the number of turns and I'm not sure what that means. Instead of saying 80 - 1x - 80, why not 80 2x? I have a feeling I'm going to feel silly when I hear the answer, but I have to ask:)

Last, say the final number is 100, where is the actual ending point. Is it directly on 100, before, or after?

Any other tips or hints I might not be aware of would be wonderful!

Thank you so much for all your help!  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)