Antique Safes/Herring-Hall-Marvin rolling floor safe

Question
safe
safe  

safe
safe  
I recently move the safe out of an old building. The door is open and everything appears to be in tack the tag on the inside say Jan 17 1922          I was wondering if I can put a new combo in or is there a way to find the combo since the door is open.
I will send another email with more pics.
Thank you for your help.

Answer
Jeff,

Yes the lock can be either reset or the original combination recovered.    I do not recommend this as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.    As either recovery or resetting of the lock on this safe WILL require a good deal of disassembly, lack of training and knowledge can easily result in an expensive lock out.

My recommendation is to have a trained safe technician, from a local safe company, check it out, inspect and service the lock (probably hasn't been serviced since it was new), and reset or recover the combination.  Ensure that everything operates correctly, and shows you how to operate it.

As far as the "date" on the manufacturer's name "plaque", this was the "PATENT issue date", and NOT the manufactured date.    Patents were issued for periods of up to 20 years, and could be used by manufacturers for even longer periods if they were still referencing THAT item and/or patent.   So your safe would have been built AFTER that date and up to the early 1940's.   Unfortunately there are no manufacturers records available which indicate dates of manufacture by serial number, so the best we can do is to estimate the dates by known items, patent dates, etc. etc.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you (and/or the safe) are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know or recommend, in your area.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)