Antique Safes/Hinge Adjustment on Antique Safe

Question
I have an antique Hall's floor safe (1906 model, double doors) One door is sagging just enough to prevent closure of the 2nd door. Can the hinges be adjusted? If so, how?

Answer
Otter,

Older safe manufacturers never planned on having maintenance done on their safes.   When it left the factory that was it!   Many of the safes had the lock and bolt work sealed under insulation material, so no access was available.   Items like adjustable hinges didn't become standard on most safes until the 1960's.    Prior to this, only the really expensive safes, or safes with really tight tolerances like round, lug door safes, money chests, and cannonball safes had adjustable hinges.

As there were no "safe technicians" at that time, it fell upon local locksmiths to perform any repairs or maintenance on safes.

Bottom line, your safe does NOT have adjustable hinges.   There are TWO distinctly different types of wear on the hinge - horizontal or a rotational wear, and vertical, or hinge casing wear.
Vertical wear (wear is ONLY up and down in a straight linear motion), can be corrected by simply adding thrust washers between the hinge blocks.   Open the door to a 90 degree angle and remove the door (lift off the hinges).   Clean and lube the hinges, and place the correct amount of thrust washers between the hinge blocks to slightly raise the door.

Horizontal wear or rotational wear, allows the door to "sag" from corner to corner.    This is fairly easy to see if you use a pry bar or large screw driver under the lower open edge of the door.   Simply pry up slightly and watch the hinges.   If you see the hinge blocks move back and forth, then the problem is a fairly major one.    Observation of the hinge pins and pin holes can reveal how much wear that you actually have.
Depending on the amount of damage or the shape of the wear (egg shaped), the holes may have to be redrilled and bushings or larger hinge pins used.

NOTE:   Incorrectly drilling MAY wind up with holes which are NO LONGER in line, causing more problems with the alignment of the hinges and operation of the door.

Unfortunately there are very few safe companies in the country that will even take on hinge repair jobs, and they tend to be expensive.    Generally hinge repairs that we do, can easily run from $1000 to $2500, depending on the safe, the problems, the hinges, and the required repairs.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)