Antique Safes/Interior Safe Door "Cabinet Lock" repair

I have a safe of unknown age used in a former business owned by relatives. This business close in about 1910, so I presume the safe was made sometime between 1880 and 1910. It is free standing 23" W X 23" D X 35" (inc. 4 wheels),chrome dial ring,Brass dial combination, and 4 exterior hinges.
Inner door is R hinged metal plate about 1/16" thick, with a 3/4" hole for an inside Cabinet Lock Housing, with the Key access protruding through the door in a 3/4" hole. Cabinet Lock is attached to inside of inner door by 3 slot head screws,threaded into the inner door.  The face of the bolt (7/8"X/16") stamped--2GB1A. Interior plate that covers the lock mechanism and is between the lock housing and the inner door has been damaged. It looks like the cylinder was pried out, and the cylinder and key is missing.
Do you know anyone I can send this Cabinet lock to and have it fixed and furnish a proper vintage key.  I looks like the safe was designed to hold document/ledgers/papers, after the inner door was unlocked.  Interior has 3 small wooden drawers @ top left side, accessed by a second keyed small door. Safe interior  is open below these drawers, and open on the other floor to cling,to hold large ledgers etc. Would sure like to have this cabinet lock repaired and keyed if you can refer me to someone??

Hi Ernest,

First I'll start off with one of my pet peeves - "VINTAGE" is the age of a grape harvest, or bottling of wine, and has nothing to do with "OLD" stuff.    It is simply another word that has been misused for so many years that most people accept it as a word describing old stuff.

Ok, on to your container and/or the locks.   If you can take the locks of, you should be able to take it to any reputable locksmith shop to have keys made.   If they can't make keys for locks, then they aren't really very good, and I would never use them again.   Unfortunately the majority of "locksmiths" in the industry now, are little more than trained monkeys - "pull part off, put new part on"!    Sorry, another of my pet peeves!

If you don't have a local locksmith, then I will need your zipcode, so that I can see who I know in your area, that I would recommend.

If you can't find a local locksmith that can make the key for you, I would be happy to take a look at it.   I opened a 150 year old safe this morning - WITH NO DAMAGE to the locks - and I know have 6 locks to make keys for.   There was a 7th one, but we haven't been able to break the screws loose to remove it yet.   All of these keys will have to be hand fabricated.

Now, just to set the record straight, while I was formally trained as a locksmith, I haven't been a practicing locksmith for almost 28 years now, I specialize in safes, particularly antique safes, however old safes have key locks and keys have to be made, so I still utilize many of my locksmith skills.   So if I can do it, your local locksmith "SHOULD" be able to.

If necessary send a photo of the lock to me at:    and I will take a look at it.   At a minimum, I might be able to give you some ideas on getting keys made.

As for the safe, if you would like it identified - I will have to see photos of the safe.   I'll need full exterior and interior and close ups of the dial handle, hinges, castors, locks, bolt work, and any logos, decals, or information which you think might be necessary.   Make sure that the photos are good enough resolution so that I can see what you are looking at.   Photos which are out of focus don't help either of us.

Hope this helps, and sorry again, about my pet peeves!

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada