Antique Safes/Migh-T-Safe

Hello Terry,

My aunt has inherited my uncle's two migh-T-safes but she has no idea how to open them. She has turned that responsibility over to me. They are both installed in the concrete floor and we do have combinations. What we lack are dials on which to enter the combos. Do the dials secure with the two Phillips screws and flip over or did uncle Al hide them somewhere devious?

Are replacement dials even available? Are they generic?

Thanks for your help

this must be my "Migh-T-Safe" year.   I've probably gone over 15 years without seeing hide nor hair of one, and this year, I've been getting at least one every month!   and YOU have two of them!

I'm not sure how you "inherit" a safe which is installed in concrete???    Inherit the house, yes, but the safes come with the house!    Sorry, just a thought!

The dials are removeable, which means that your uncle probably hid them somewhere.   They DO NOT secure with a screw.   The dial has two pins installed, the center is an aligning pin, and the outer one is a drive pin.

I've got at least ONE brand new Migh-T-Safe dial still in the box.    I don't know if I have a second one or not, but I may have another dial which will work as a replacement.

Send an email to me at:     to remind me to look for it, as I'll forget about it by tomorrow.   Sorry, I'm getting old!

I notice you are in California - we are in the San Francisco Bay area, if that makes it easier.

The dialing sequence is very specific for these locks, so make sure that you have the complete instructions for your safes, and not just the numbers or it may not open.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada