Antique Safes/Need to access small box inside safe

Question
I have just inherited a Herring Hall Marvin Safe, UL inspected 519857.  First, I'd love to get a little background info on the safe, including year of manufacture. But most importantly, there is a built-in box inside the safe that requires a key. I do not have a key, and would like to know how to get into that box. Thanks very much!!

Answer
Steve,

I'll start with the UL inspection label.  The serial number is for the label and NOT the safe, so it has no reference as to when the safe was made.

HHM was in business from 1892 until acquired by Diebold in 1959 and subsequently closed down between 1962-64.    I would need to see your safe to give you any info about it, or to try to age it.   If you want individual history about "YOUR" safe, you would need to trace it back through previous owners, as there is no data base that tracks any type of ownership.

As far as the obtaining a key, any locksmith company (NOT one of the mobile service - only companies), and/or any safe company should be able to open this lock, and/or make a key for you.   If they can't pick the lock or impression a key to open it, then you probably don't want them working on it to start with.   Chances are the lock is not replaceable, so anyone who wants to destroy it to open it should be avoided.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)