Antique Safes/old safe weight

Question
Hi Andy, I have a 100 year old safe that I would like to give to my son who lives in Ohio, the problem it is extremely heavy. Is it any way to remove the weight from a old safe?

Answer
Michael,

I suppose you could put it on a diet, but after 100 years I would assume that its pretty set in its "weights"!

Sorry, there is no way of "removing" weight from a safe without ruining it.   Safes are designed to sit in one place for their entire life without moving, so manufacturers do not include "removable" weights, for use during transport.   They are designed extremely heavy to thwart burglary attempts to steal the safe.

The best way to ship the safe is going to be to built a sturdy pallet around the base that encompasses the wheels and supports the body.   Freight companies rarely will palletize items like this, so you will need a local safe company who has the equipment to move it, palletize it and load it on a truck for delivery.   If you don't have a similar system in place at the delivery end, then I would recommend requesting delivery by a truck that has lift gate capacity, though the most they would offer would be driveway (curbside) delivery.   Your son would need to make arrangements with another local safe company to have it moved off of the pallet and into his house or garage.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)