Antique Safes/Phillips Safe, Climax Lock

Question
Dear Sir,

I have an old Phillips and Sons safe with a Climax Detector lock. It is in working order. Is this of some value, please, and to whom?

Bill H.

Answer
Hello Bill,

Phillips was one of a host of safe manufacturers that sprang up in the late 1980's and early 1900's.  The Climax Detector lock tends to suggest it is one of the very old safes and sadly these do not have a great deal of value as the have no commercial use - they are far too old to secure cash or documents.  However, the best way to get a feel for prices is to seach Ebay for antique safes - there are always several up for auction.  Ignore the Buy Now prices - they always ask far too much and seldom sell.  You will get a better price at an auction room but you have the problem of transporting it there and bringing it back again if it doesn't sell.

If you send me a picture, I will be able to tell you a little more about its construction and possible age.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer