Antique Safes/Ruxtons safe

I have an old safe which came to me after the death of an uncle of mine.The only clue to its identity that I have is that the words "Ruxtons invincible lock" are on the key cover and there is  a royal standard fixed to the front of it.It measures 2 ft tall,17 ins wide and 16 ins deep.Any info would be appreciated

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the enquiry.  Ruxtons is a new one to me.  It sounds like a typical late Victorian safe - they all seemed to display coats of arms they were not entitled to, but I can't say more without seeing a couple of pictures.  if possible, I would like one with the door closed, showing the entire front of the safe including the hinges, and one with the door open revealing the bolt-work and door thickness.  If it is easier, they can be sent to me directly at

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others