Antique Safes/safe open need to know combo

Question
Hello there Andy. I recently inherited my wife's Grandfather's Herring-Hall-Marvin fireproof safe.  This is a fairly small "floor safe" I believe. The lock mechanism is a Sargent and Greenleaf "group r-6716-2".  The safe is open as it has been for years.  I  believe he got this upon his retirement from the Marine Corp as it is stamped "US" and "1960" on the door.  Can you possibly enlighten me on retrieving the combination?  I have removed the inside cover on the door as well as the cover on lock mechanism to no avail.  Thanks Andy.  This is a really important project for me to complete for my wife.

Answer
Hi Derek,

I never recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe lock work.   Lack of education, knowledge and/or tools can result in a really expensive lockout.

As you have already partially disassembled it to no avail, it is time to have a safe technician either recover the combination or reset it correctly for you.    As it is a fairly small floor safe, you should be able to easily remove the door from the hinges and simply take the door to a local safe company to have their safe technician service the lock, ensure that there are no problems, and then either recover the combination or reset it to a new one.   Afterwards they can show you how to correctly operate the lock.    I would also recommend that you clean and lubricate the hinges and hinge pin, while you have the door off.   Hinges get a lot of wear and tear with very little service over their life.

Generally most safe companies should have at least a 90 day service warranty to guarantee that the lock will operate correctly.   Check with your local safe company to see what their guarantee is.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)